Polka dots & Paisleys stopped taking personalized monogrammed orders on August 29th, 2009 until further notice.

Sunday, July 15, 2007

The apple of HIS eye

Yesterday I had two showers to go to. I love showers! They are so much fun to go to and to help with, and to host...of course the ones I enjoyed the most were the wedding and baby showers my friends threw for me! Anyways, I was only in charge of a few little things to bring to Sara's wedding shower I was helping host. Of course when I finally got there after rushing around, I had forgotten two of the things I was supposed to bring! How is it that I ALWAYS seem to forget at least one thing? At least I wasn't running late! All this to say...I wish I was perfect sometimes! Do you have one of those friends who seems just perfect? Always has her house organized and clean, always on time, always remembers everything, does an amazing job at work, has wonderful children, and still manages to be an awesome friend?! Well, I have one of those friends...Maureen. She owns her own business - she's a photographer, and she takes amazing pictures! She never seems to be stressed with all her photo sessions and getting pictures ready, and then she is involved in church, her house is always clean, she is SO creative, she always has the cutest outfits on, and she has a 1-year-old, and is 8 months pregnant. With all that, she's still an amazing friend, and on top of everything...she's absolutely gorgeous and the most adorable pregnant lady ever:) So, yesterday at the bridal shower, she was one of the hostesses and she did 5x as much as I did for the shower and everything was SO adorable. I wonder how a person can be so creative! And of course, she didn't forget anything! I find myself thinking sometimes...why can't I be more perfect? I like to appear as though I have everything together, but my house isn't always clean, I don't always look cute, I don't always know the perfect words to say, I'm not very creative, it takes me forever to lose weight, and it seems that I hardly ever get everything done during the day that I set out to do. BUT, last night while I was contemplating why I seem to always fall short of who I wish I was and what I wish I could do, and overall - why I am not perfect. . .I realized that God doesn't want me to be perfect. How could He be my Savior if I'm perfect? I have to rely on him each day in what I say, do, and think. I have to remember that I can't do anything on my own...I have to constantly rely on Him to help me and sustain me. Psalm 17:8 says"Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings." I am the apple of God's eye! I know God created me this way for a purpose. Christ can be glorified in my weaknesses because he is the one who enables me to overcome those weaknesses. I relish the fact that I have an incredible husband, an unbelieveably amazing baby boy and and wonderful family and friends. I AM BLESSED! Why should I be sad that I am not like someone else? I am sure Maureen isn't actually perfect...she probably has a flaw somewhere (I just haven't ever seen one!!:). I know that she has to rely on God daily also. So, I feel like God is saying "Be who I created you to be - you are my creation and the apple of my eye!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are too sweet Martha! It's funny sometimes how we can name every flaw we have in ourselves and only see the good in others...I like to call that being a woman :) You are so true in that God created us just how we are, each unique, and we must rely on Him each day! Isaiah 43:7 says, "Everyone who is called by My name, whom I have created for My glory; I have formed him, yes, I have made him." Wow! What confirmation knowing that we were created by a perfect God that does not require us to be perfect, but to glorify Him in everything! My prayer is that others would see His glory through my works.
I, along with everyone reading this, am so incredibly blessed to have you as a friend!
You ARE the apple of God's eye!
I love you girl!
Maureen :)

Laura said...

That is so true, Martha, and I'm so glad you wrote that! I have really struggled with this myself from time to time, but then I have to realize that not one of us are perfect...nobody! God didn't intend that, just as you said. Thanks for sharing such an inspirational message!

Angela said...

Beautifully written and true...

Anonymous said...

Everything is in the eye of the beholder--the same things you see in Maureen that make her "perfect", I see in you! It's human nature to beat ourselves up (or down), but in the eyes of our family and friends and our God we are more perfect than we could ever imagine! :) I love you!